Wednesday 1 January 2014

Tuna Casserole!

Omnomnomnnom...
Meal #1 of the meal planning experiment was AMAZING!
It's from Beverley Laumann's Interstitial Cystitis: 100 Simple Recipes for IC Sufferers.  It may not look to pretty, but it was fairly simple to make, and tastes great!
I modified a thing or two, just due to what I had on hand in the kitchen, and the type of soup I bought, so here's my modification!

3/4 package of egg noodles (cooked)
2 cans tuna
2.5 tablespoons butter
seasoned breadcrumbs
1 large can mushroom soup (not condensed)
     Beware any ultra-processed mushroom soup. Check the ingredients for bad preservatives. I find things with 50 syllables are usually bad.... Keep it simple!
1/4 cup grated cheese (mozza, or monteray jack)

1. Melt the butter about half way, then whip the butter until the texture is consistent.
I used the microwave, for about 30 seconds on high. It melted around half of the butter, and then I spread the heat around by mixing.

2. Add seasoned breadcrumbs until the texture is crumbly.
I eyeballed it... The original recipe called this mixture a 'sauce', but since I was not using condensed soup, I already had sauce a-plenty, so I threw more breadcrumbs in there to get a thicker texture.

3. Fry the breadcrumb mixture and (drained) tuna.
This is a little add I did, it nicely browned the breadcrumbs and got a bit of the seasoning into the tuna before the next step.

4. Add soup, breadcrumb mixture, tuna and noodles into a casserole dish.

5. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top.
Again... I eyeballed it here. I do that a lot. I guess it depends on the shape of your casserole dish. But I added enough cheese to cover it nicely, and then sprinkled some leftover breadcrumbs on there too.

6. Bake in 350 F oven for 30 mins!

Adding cheese and crumbs on top made it really yummy (I can't get enough of melted cheese....).

Next time, I think I might add some fried mushrooms and other vegetables (zucchini?), just to mix it up a bit! Although, the cat at my work seems to like it well enough... BAD KITTEH!

No comments:

Post a Comment