Saturday 18 January 2014

Green Soup

This is a great recipie! Taught to me by my good friend Pauline, who is gluten free.
It's what I call a Mighty Morphing Recipie, where the ingredients follow loose rules, but the basic structure stays the same. So, lets go over what happened last time I made Green Soup!

I started by chopping up a potato and some fresh dill! Potato is optional, but I find it ads a nice texture and substance to the soup.
If you add potato to this recipie, chop it up in to itty bitty pieces and boil it RIGHT AWAY. Potatoes take longer than anything else to cook. About 10 mintues will do ya once the water is boiling. The dill we will get to later...

Broccolli is the base of this soup, the one ingredient that never really changes. I usually steam about one head of it. Once your water is boiling, it only takes around five to seven minutes to get done.
Then, you grab anything green in your fridge. This time, we had some frozen peas and some spinach hanging about. I added the frozen peas to the top of the broccoli while it was steaming, and added the spinach to the top of the bolied potatoes while they cooled down.
We also had some pine nuts and cream cheese... YUM! We'll get to that later....
Once everything is all cooked up, set aside a bit of the water you used to steam the broccolli, then throw everything but the cream cheese, fresh herbs and nuts into the broccolli water. I set aide a bit of the water to make sure the soup is not going to be watery. If it's too thick, I add a bit back if I need to later.

Next, blend the soup with an immersion blender until it's smooth. That's when I add about half a container of cream cheese to the whole thing. If it's too thick at this point, add a bit of the water you set aside.

To serve, sprinkle nuts and herbs on top, and enjoy! Here, we are using pine nuts and fresh dill, but I had it the other night with parsley, fresh oregano and cashews!

Have fun trying your own combinations!

1 comment: